I meant to post something last week about how it was a blogging anniversary of sorts. Counting the years gets kind of scary so I’ve sort of stopped doing that. But it’s been a while since I started this here blog. I didn’t post because life and you all know how that goes. So just imagine that I said something about “wow, how things have changed since I started blogging, blah blah blah,” okay?
Right now I want to focus on the end of the year stuffs. I can’t believe 2012 is already over. This was quite a year, a big year for me personally. I was just looking back at my post from the end of last year and am reminded of how awful 2011 was and I feel even MORE glad that this last year was so good.
For one thing, much less tragedy. Oh, there’s definitely been tragedy in the world and strife and war and famine and horrible things. But it doesn’t seem quite as close as it did last year. We also have much less money this year. But that didn’t seem to make this last year any less pleasant so I’m thinking money can just go take a flying leap because it’s presence doesn’t guarantee happiness. It’s absence certainly doesn’t make things terribly wonderful but life can still be good without it so I think that says something. I, myself, am MUCH happier and healthier and better off than I was last year. I found my happy place this last year and I’m not entirely sure if I can pinpoint that to one specific thing. Taking my thyroid meds certainly has helped. Doctor Who has also helped. And maybe I was just tired of feeling sad.
So let’s look at pop culture stuffs! Since that’s what I talked about last year, it seems fitting to do it this year as well.
Music of 2012
My BIG song of the year? That’s a tough one. I had quite a few. I think if I had to point to ONE, though, it would be “Some Nights” by Fun. I absolutely adore that song. It’s stirring and inspiring and I can’t help but sing along whenever I hear it. But it is jostling with a host of other songs that I loved this last year, including:
- “We Are Young” by Fun. (of course!) – same goes, gotta sing along, very stirring.
- “Starships” by Niki Minaj – this is a dance-y song! Don’t be hatin’, I love this one.
- “One More Night” by Maroon 5 – I can’t explain my love for this one. No wait, I *can* but I don’t want to.
- “Glad You Came” by The Wanted – Catchy.
There’s also songs that meant a lot to me this year that either did NOT come out this last year or that I’m not sure if it was this last year or 2011. Those songs include:
- “The Scientist” by Coldplay – this is a new absolute favorite. Piano, guitar and absolutely HAUNTING lyrics. Love love love love this one.
- “Cosmic Love” by Florence + the Machine – I love Florence and this is my fave of hers but that’s saying something because I have like 5 favorites of hers and its a close race.
- “Run” by Snow Patrol – UGH UGH UGH. Perfect song.
This is but a nibbling of the songs I’ve loved this last year. Really, its been a very musical year for me, I’ve found it so inspiring… in a way that I haven’t in a long, long time.
Television of 2012
Oh you had to know this was coming! Obviously, topping this list is “Doctor Who” but you might be surprised to hear that its not the most recent episodes of this show that I love. That’s because back in 2010, the show changed completely and while its not HORRIBLE, it’s not the way I loved it. My favorite are the shows that aired from 2005-2009. That gets hard to explain around people who don’t even know what the show is ABOUT. So mostly I just smile and say, “I love Doctor Who” and let them make of it what they will. I’ve been amazed, actually, at how much public attention the show has gotten since I started watching. It would appear I’m not the only one to be caught by this one! I expect to see that continue this next year since 2013 is the 50th Anniversary of the show. I expect by this time next year I’ll still be grousing over what I think went wrong with the Anniversary specials (since we know there will be specials, we’re not stupid).
But what else did I like watching this last year?
- “Once Upon a Time” – oh lordy… this is a great show. Its like fairytale AU and I love it even with its overly complicated plots here in season 2.
- “Sherlock” – I discovered this one this last year too and its a great show. I feel very bad for its devoted fans tho, having to wait so long for series 3.
- “Downton Abbey” – a show I never expected to enjoy and neither did Kile but yet we were both sucked in entirely.
- “The Walking Dead” – I don’t want to love this show but its just so… DISTURBING AND WRONG. I can’t look away.
HBO kinda fell from favor with me this last year. I didn’t enjoy the usual shows as much as I have before. I didn’t even really dig “Breaking Bad” as much as I have in the past (hopefully that’ll change when it comes back this spring).
Movies of 2012
I haven’t been to the theater too much this year but perhaps more than I was able to the year before. I’d say my favorite theater movie was “The Avengers”. I mean, COME ON. Joss Whedon directing a cast of amazing super heroes? NO CONTEST. And it had Loki, played by the adorable Tom Hiddleston. There wasn’t anything not to love about that movie. Also of note:
- “The Artist” – saw this one on our Oscar movie stroll and LOVED it.
I really didn’t see a lot of movies this year and I didn’t get excited much about what I did see. But somehow I don’t feel very bad about this.
Books of 2012
Okay, look. I didn’t read a lot of books this year but I have been reading a LOT and writing a LOT as well, so that should count for something. But if you’re looking for a book recommendation, I gotta say Jenny Lawson’s “Let’s Pretend This Never Happened”. And let’s PLEASE try to forget E.L. James’ “50 Shades of Grey”.
So that, as they say, is that! The year in a very compartmentalised nutshell! I’ll try to be back tomorrow to discuss resolution type stuffs. Everyone have a happy and safe New Years Eve. Have one for me.