Oh what a beautiful day!

I feel fine.

Let me repeat that: I feel fine.

I nearly lost track of how long I did NOT feel fine. But I’m pretty sure it came in at about a month and a half. And now, at long long last, I FEEL FINE. Okay, so maybe not entirely 100% (there’s still a bit of a cough and such), but as far as I’m concerned it’s close enough. And compared to about two weeks ago? I feel like I could run a marathon. And quite honestly, feeling fine makes me feel SO HAPPY. Amazing how being sick for so long can make you really appreciate feeling fine.

In fact, I would have written all of this yesterday, but that was the first day I really felt fine and I was busy just enjoying it (and getting a few things accomplished). I’m sure my good mood about feeling normal for a change will eventually wane but for now I’m just taking it as it comes.

Last week, as I was pulling away from that demon bronchitis, some intestinal distress set in. I’m pretty sure the anti-biotics were to blame. But that reared its head just about as we were preparing to go to San Jose for the weekend. As of Friday night (we were to leave Saturday morning), I wasn’t sure I was going to make it. I felt absolutely wretched. Because of course.

Luckily, the clouds parted the next morning just as we needed to leave and we made it on the road. And also luckily, the storm everyone had been hyping passed early and driving over the hill was a piece of cake.


The trip down was uneventful, which is just as we like it. And, I swear, the iPad paid for itself on that trip. I’d loaded it up with the kids favorite movies and we watched “Rio” and “Cars 2″ during the trip down. Not a PEEP from the back of the van. The kids loved it. And Kile and I loved the peace too.

Weather down in San Jose was slightly sketchy but we all know that’s the way I like it. Sunday morning my parents took us to breakfast out at the Cinnebar Golf Club and there is no better place to enjoy the lush green that is San Jose in the late winter/early spring than that. GORGEOUS.


Of course, mere minute after I snapped that pic, the skies opened up in a torrential downpour, complete with teeny hail. Still. Very beautiful.

It had been a long time since we’d been down for a visit. It’s always so wonderful to come for a visit. How many people can visit the home they grew up in these days. Many things are different, but even more things are the same. And I just love sharing it with my family.


Evie’s 4th birthday was Tuesday but since we had to travel that day, we celebrated with my parents the day before. We went out to dinner, had presents, and of course cake and ice cream. Evie had a blast and LOVED being the center of attention. I can’t believe she’s FOUR already. Where does the time go??

The next day, we had to leave pretty early so Kile could get back to work in the afternoon. We promised to return soon, perhaps during the summer months so the kids could enjoy the pool. And then on the road we went. And though it was still technically rush hour, once we got past the highway 85/87 interchange and metering lights, it was smooth sailing.

We stopped in West Sacramento, as usual, for a quick bite to eat before hitting the road again. Ironically, we we had worse weather over the summit on the trip back. It was warmer out, but we had fog and pesky drizzle that only served to mess up the van and limit visibility.


But once we hot Truckee, everything cleared up and we sailed into town. The pets were thrilled to see us and though the kids expressed some regret at leaving their grandparents, they soon were off reacquainting themselves with all their toys again.

So now we are home again and I’m feeling FINE and all is right with the world once more.